Thursday, January 14, 2010

Arts and Crafts / Arts or Crafts




Back in college, students were very much encouraged to paint with oils. In fact, that was the only medium we used in painting classes all through senior year. I always wished that school offered some sort of mixed media class for students to explore with many mediums and techniques. One studio class I took during my junior year, I was able to use different mediums other than oil. I tried inks, watercolors, glitters, papers, and yarns. That was my first time trying to do some kind of mixed media art.
I did fine arts(?) as my major and did crafts(?) as my hobby. I made cards, pressed flowers, frames, and wall arts. But it never clicked that it doesn't have to be divided into two. When I go to the bookstore to grab some arts magazines, I first start browsing fine arts magazine such as Art in America and I end up buying Cloth Paper Scissor and bunch of Somerset studio magazines. One day I told my sister about that and she said to me..."But that's what you like". Oh~ya...that's what I like. I like to look and read all about it and get amazed how talented they are.
About a year ago, I really tried mixed media not just as my hobby, but to bring it onto the canvas. At first I knew what I wanted to do in my head, but transferring it onto a canvas was very challenging. Not knowing much about mixed media.
I'm still trying and learning and having a good time~

2 comments:

  1. Sunny, I'd say that you're doing very well :) Don't you just love mixed media? And the thing about it, is that there are no mistakes or rules--the things that would probably make your art teachers scream. And I love those magazines that you mentioned--my favorite is Somerset Studio--if I ever feel 'blocked', I'll look through one of my issues, and they ALWAYS help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your art is so sweet! Love your banner so original!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by~ I would love to hear from you :)